Date posted: 6/17/19
Want to be part of a dynamic, growing organization? Have a desire to be involved in an innovative and non-traditional approach to addressing mental illness?
Putnam Clubhouse seeks a Staff Generalist to join our team supporting adults with serious mental illness on their journey of recovery and reintegration into the community.
Putnam Clubhouse is a mental health recovery program located near downtown Concord providing psychiatric rehabilitation services in accordance with the standards of Clubhouse International (clubhouse-intl.org). We help Clubhouse members (program participants) meet their needs for employment, housing, education, friendship, structure, and stability.
This is NOT a desk job or a case management position. Program participants are volunteers involved in doing everything necessary to run their own program (admin, cooking, cleaning, events, etc.), and Staff Generalists work hands-on alongside program participants doing the same tasks. Staff Generalists report to the Assistant Director and work in close partnership with the Clubhouse members, other Staff Generalists, and the Executive Director.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week, non-exempt position with benefits. Starting salary in the upper 30K range DOE.
The duties and responsibilities of the Staff Generalist include, but are not limited to:
- Lead groups of members in work units at the Clubhouse doing everything involved in operating the program while modeling a strong work ethic
- Generate member interest in participation in all aspects of the work-ordered day
- Encourage peer-to-peer relationships and interaction among the members
- Encourage members to take leadership roles
- Take a leadership role in ensuring positive outcomes in the members’ lives
- Assist with internal and external employment and educational programs
- Help members set and achieve personal career and wellness goals
- Identify/use community, healthcare, and social service resources that promote member well-being, independence, and personal satisfaction
- Help foster member self-advocacy
- Conduct outreach activities at community organizations to increase membership and visibility
- Learn about and uphold the standards of the Clubhouse model
- Provide leadership with members in relationship to Clubhouse mission and goals
- Participate with members and staff in a collaborative decision-making process
- Staff clubhouse social and recreational programs
QUALITIES OF A GOOD STAFF GENERALIST
- Responsible, outgoing, and caring
- Enjoys working/interacting with people from a variety of backgrounds, including adults with mental illness
- Energetic, optimistic; demonstrated ability to establish positive and productive relationships with others
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and organizational abilities are essential
- Results-oriented self-starter
- Flexible, considerate, patient, and tactful
- Kind heart and a ready sense of humor
- Organized and able to thrive in a multi-task environment
- Exhibits good judgment and strong problem-solving abilities
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- One year working with adults with mental illness or other relevant experience
- Valid CA driver's license and good DMV record
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to work some weekend, evening, and holiday hours as assigned
- BA or equivalent; preferably in a related field
- Proficiency in MS Office software applications, demonstrated competency in general computer usage
- Previous successful work experience in a variety of vocational areas
- Clerical experience and skills
- In-depth understanding of, or interest in, mental illness; mental health consumers and family members welcome to apply
- Previous clubhouse experience a plus
- Bilingual ability a plus
- Multimedia skills/experience a BIG plus: video production, websites, HTML, new technology, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply by email only to [email protected]. No phone calls, please. Include the following in the body of your email or as attachments:
- A cover letter telling us why you would be a great match for the position, given the job description. Please review our website (www.putnamclubhouse.org) before writing your cover letter. You must send a cover letter to be considered!